Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Legitimate Rape? A Rape Victim and Counselor Reflects on Rape Culture Myths | RH Reality Check

 Please check out my beautiful Sister in council, life and love. I am so honored to call her my friend and I am so proud of her bravery. I am seriously considering going back in to counseling. After reading my girl's article, I feel compelled with a great responsibility to go back.I am not going to lie, I miss it and the village of hope and security we were able to offer.

Legitimate Rape? A Rape Victim and Counselor Reflects on Rape Culture Myths | RH Reality Check

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really powerful, thank you Jackie for sharing.

[trigger warning for the rest of this]

I think that in general, reasonable people are know that a term like "legitimate rape" is ridiculous and rape is rape, but rape culture is so pervasive. I shouldn't be surprised (but still am) when I hear about how even "forcible rape" (another despicable term) wasn't forcible enough. Never mind that you got hit. Never mind you were threatened. Was your life in immediate danger, in that you had a weapon directly threatening your vital organs? No? Well, you clearly wanted it you lying slut.

If we can't even get people to agree that what your friend went through is rape, how can we talk about rape as what it really comes down to: lack of consent? I'm so thankful that women are willing to share their stories like this. I think using personal stories to shed light on how terrible these terms and lies are is one of the few ways to actually get through to people.

Your friend is incredibly brave. Thank her for me.

Febuary's Girl said...

Norah , I will tell her for you. She is a beautiful ,brave, smart and courageous warrior I get to call my friend.