Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hymnal Songs

So I decided to try a Gospel Improve class this semester. Growing up Catholic, and Catholic school didn't provide a ton of gospel influence. I've sung in choirs, and even groups, longing to catch the runs and trills. I've always sung conservatively, and I believe it is in part of my upbringing and schooling.

Gospel is heavy laden in improv. If I can shed and learn my chord changes which are also tied heavily to jazz and the blues, I can sing and play for myself. The desire to do this rang out for me last Saturday when I sang at a funeral. The person playing couldn't find the chord changes and I had to politely gesture her to stop playing as she was throwing me off.

So the kids are feed and asleep and I am on keys for a few to pluck out the melody for a hymn I am learning, wish me luck fellow musicians.

Peace!

No comments: