Thursday, June 28, 2007

Boys to Men

I find that I have to constantly stay on my little man because he has a tendency to pass the buck. I don't want him to grow up not giving of himself and waiting for others to do things he should be doing on his own. I notice how he is with the girls in our life and I see a need to bump up some things for him. How are we raising the man-child. Too many times I have listened to women, myself included at some point about men who don't really act like men. There is a continued frustration amongst sisters who can't even get a man to hold her hand much less comprehend the importance of family. Are we really loving each other to the full potential, are we sending our young men out into the world without implanting in them that your counterpart is very valuable to them.

I think about Omar and I pray that I am able to teach him how to be a gentleman, how to fearlessly show his feelings, how to be romantic, passionate, spiritual, compassionate, humble and understanding. I really believe he will have a better chance in the crazy world for it. I believe upon meeting a mate that chooses him, she will be happy about the man he is. I ran into a woman who believed that in order for her son to be a man he needed to model his life after his father whom happens to be a pimp. She was ok with the fact that he would not cherish a woman and not be responsible for her and treat her like a queen. I see her frustration with him now and the potential heartache that will follow, but at the same time she pushes him to a more destructive lifestyle. How are we raising our boys? Are we raising them to be leaders, to be strong, to be selfless in a selfish world? Or are we saying its ok you don't have to try to be upstanding.

Father God please give me the strength and guidance to raise Omar in the way he should go into the world. I believe he will be a better man and a great asset to any church, woman, child, friend, or company. It's so important to arm our boys with love and affection because it will easier later on in life to show love with strength. It will not hinder them from spirituality, romance, and intimacy on many different levels. I pray for all my man children out there because we need you.

No comments: